The Office of the Clerk of 高等法院 approves and issues commissions of 公证人. Each commission is for a term of four years and may be renewed prior to the expiration of the notary's term of office.
Any individual applying for appointment to be a 公证人 must be:
- At least 18 years old
- A resident of this state, or neighboring state if employed in Georgia
- A resident of the county from which such individual is appointed
- Able to read and write the English language
- Enter the 3-digit code that displays on the screen. (If the code does not appear, contact GSCCCA Customer Support at 800-304-5174 or 404-327-9760.)
- Enter the appropriate application type (new or renewal).
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the form.
- If endorser signatures are required, have your endorsers sign the application. (Endorsers are character references who live in your county of application, have known you for over 30 days, and are not related to you.)
Step 2: Take the signed application to the Clerk of 高等法院 in the county of application to finish the application process, pay the appointment fee, and take the oath of office.
Step 3: Purchase a notary seal (metal emboss type or rubber ink stamp) from an office supply store or from a notary trade association. Note: For renewing notaries: you may use your existing notary seal/stamp if the information on the seal matches exactly the information on the new commission.
After an applicant submits to the Clerk of 高等法院 of the county of application, the Clerk of 高等法院 shall either grant or deny a commission as a 公证人 within 10 days following the applicant's submission of the necessary documents.
The filing fee for Notary is $51.00 and can be paid by cash, personal, business or cashier check, or money order.